Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Day 2 - Run & Bike

These first several weeks are going to suck regarding bike training since I don't have my triathlon bike yet, and if I did, I don't have a trainer for it. Hoping to get those two things resolved before the end of February since I likely won't be able to bike outside until late March (at best). But I digress... onto today's recap.

BIKE: 60 Min
Another thing that sucked is having to get into work early today. I had to cut the workout short by 10 minutes, despite being at the gym when they opened at 5am. In retrospect, I should have done my run in the morning and bike in the afternoon after work. I'll remember that for next time.

I'm going to be using the spinning machines instead of the traditional 'bike' machines. I think they'll simulate a riding experience more accurately and get my 'saddle sores' worn in. ;) Today went well. The plan calls for small chain work, so I kept the resistance fairly low. I warmed up with hardly any resistance for 5 minutes, then started increasing it every 10. Actual numbers:
51m 18sec. Max heart rate of 145

RUN: 30 Min
As noted, I didn't have time to this before work, so I did it on my way home. This is supposed to be an easy run, and I treated it as such, but here's something weird: I set out at what felt like the same relaxed pace as my Monday morning 40-minute run. But my splits were 20 to 30 seconds faster.

Two possible explanations for this: 1) The music I chose. I have a tendency to run in tandem with the tempo of certain songs. Maybe I got started at a slightly higher tempo and maintained it throughout? 2) It's equally possible that I had a bit more energy in the afternoon than in the early morning. I'll have to try this a few times and monitor it.

Totals were 33min 33sec, 4.1 miles, 8:10 avg. Max heart rate of 162

INSANITY: 40 Min
Recovery week workout again. Not bad considering I did it less than 30 minutes after finishing my run.

37min 42 sec. Max heart rate of 160

Really good day overall. Just challenging getting in two disciplines early the AM, but will likely split those on Tue-Wed-Thr when I need to be at work by 6:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment