Sunday, February 3, 2013

Days 5 & 6, Recovery Day

My first week of training is now behind me. As I write this, it's Sunday - my recovery day. I learned last year that recovery days are extremely important and necessary, no matter what kind of training or exercise you do. Your body and mind both need breaks. When it gets warmer, I'll probably pick a weekday instead of Sunday to recover. The workouts will be getting longer, and the weekends will provide more time to get them in.

It's a good thing today is recovery day too - when I got out of bed I felt a slight tweak near the bottom of my left hamstring. Hopefully a day of rest will do the trick. It's not painful, just a dull kind of annoyance. I'll see how it is tomorrow.

In the meantime, here's a recap of the past two days:

DAY 5 - Bike 45, Swim 30
Not too bad of a day at all. I hopped on a spinning machine just off the elevated track since there was a spinning class going on. Not that I don't want to be in a spinning class, it's just that right now I was to keep my training in line with what it's supposed to be and not go after it too hard. So it was 45 minutes at light-medium resistance.

More swim drills today. This was a Speed Day, and my drills were to be 400 warm-up (with kicks every 75yds), and then EBEH 8 times. That means I do 25 Easy, 25 Build (faster), 25 Easy, 25 Hard (all-out). Wasn't too bad at all, especially when looking at my splits for each of the eight 100s. I was consistent throughout, even at the end.

Insanity workout that evening was once more Core Cardio & Balance. Only need to do this workout once more, then it kicks into high gear next week. 4 weeks to go.

DAY 6 - BIKE 90
Despite it being a Saturday, I still got up early and was at the campus right after they opened at 7am. I was a little concerned about how this workout was going to go. I haven't been in the saddle (tri-terminology for being 'on the bike seat') for over an hour in at least 4 months. I used a spinner again, and it wasn't as bad as I thought, but it was tiring. To make the time go by faster I watched some YouTube videos on my phone (hell, you have to do something when you're on a stationary device for an hour and a half!). I felt good enough to run a few laps on the elevated track. Not quite a brick workout, but I want my body to get used to running after biking.

So I have a recovery day and another week of prep work to look forward to. I just have to remember to get sleep, keep eating right, and listen to my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment